On December 19, 2014, the federal government published the Joint Interim Final Rule implementing the UG for all Federal award-making agencies (see Federal Register (link is external)). As agency specific considerations for proposal development and grants management become available, that information will be posted here.
Department of Commerce (DOC)
- Effective October 1, 2017 all DOC research financial assistance awards subject to 2 CFR Part 200 will be covered by the Research Terms and Conditions, in addition to any Department and Bureau-specific terms and conditions that may apply.
- DOC Research Terms and Conditions: Agency Specific Requirements can be found here: https://www.nsf.gov/bfa/dias/policy/fedrtc/agencyspecifics/doc_1017.pdf
The National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Effective April 3, 2017 all new NSF grants and funding increments on existing NSF grants to institutions of higher education and non-profit organizations will incorporate by reference the Research Terms and Conditions dated April 2017, and the NSF Agency Specific Requirements dated April 2017. The Research Terms and Conditions will not be applied to NSF cooperative agreements and fellowship awards made to individuals. The Research Terms and Conditions link (external link).
- Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG)
- Previous PAPPG’s can be found in NSFs Document Library (external link)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Effective April 3, 2017, the Research Terms and Conditions (link is external) apply to all NIH grants and cooperative agreements with the exceptions noted in the NIH Agency Specific Requirements (link is external). NIH implementation of these Federal-wide Research Terms has no significant change in the requirements for terms and conditions for NIH awardees.
- The NIH Grants Policy Statement (link is external) (3/31/2015) is effective for all NIH grants and cooperative agreements with budget periods beginning on or after December 26, 2014 and awards receiving supplemental funds on or after that date through April 2, 2017, when the Research Terms and Conditions came into effect. See 10/1/2013 NIHGPS (link is external) for prior budget periods.
- Notices of Award (NoA) issued on or after December 26, 2014 that do not involve obligation of new or supplemental funds remain subject to 45 CFR Part 74. See also NIH's 45 CFR Part 75 related FAQs (link is external).
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- Effective October 1, 2107 the Research Terms and Conditions apply to all new and renewal research and research-related grant and cooperative agreements awards issued under 2 CFR 1800 (NASA adoption of 2 CFR 200). Applicability of the research terms and conditions do not apply to incremental funding supplements, funding extensions, or augmentations to awards issued prior to October 1, 2017, no do they apply to cooperative agreements to commercial firms with cost share issued under 14 CFR 1274.
- NASA Research Terms and Conditions Agency Specific Requirements can be found here: https://www.nsf.gov/bfa/dias/policy/fedrtc/agencyspecifics/nasa_1017.pdf
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- EPA is anticipated to implement the standard Research Terms and Conditions (link is external) to research grants and cooperative agreements awarded by the Office of Research and Development in December 2017. The standard Research Terms and Conditions will not apply to research centers, conferences, training projects, fellowships, or awards made as part of the People, Prosperity, and the Planet (P3) program.
- On October 9, 2015, the EPA issued a final rule implementing the OMB Uniform Guidance, 2 CFR Part 200. Read the final rule here: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2015-10-09/html/2015-25833.htm (link is external). See also Policy, Regulations and Guidance for EPA Grants (link is external) and Grant Terms and Conditions (link is external).
- Details about managing and applying for EPA grants can be found on EPA’s website (http://www2.epa.gov/grants (link is external)).
USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA)
- Effective June 2017 All research and research-related awards (i.e., research, education, and extension) to institutions of higher education, hospitals, other non-profit organizations and for-profit organizations. The terms and conditions will apply to all awards (grants, cooperative agreements, and special projects) funded by NIFA except: 1) Capacity Programs; 2) the 1890 Facilities Program; and 3) the Small Business Innovation Research Program; as well as 4) awards to individuals. Existing research, education, and extension awards will continue to utilize the terms and conditions as stated in the award until the award expires unless the award receives a funding increment following June 1, 2017, in which case the core set of administrative terms and conditions and agency-specific terms dated June 2017 will apply to such awards. In addition, beginning June 1, 2017, new NIFA research, education, and extension awards will utilize the Research Terms and Conditions, including the new agency-specific terms and conditions dated June 2017.
- NIFA Agency-Specific Terms and Conditions can be found here: https://www.nsf.gov/bfa/dias/policy/fedrtc/agencyspecifics/nifa_617.pdf